As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves, York University is working diligently to keep the safety and wellbeing of students, staff and faculty at the heart of all its decisions.
- Course Completion and Exams:
Beginning on Monday, March 16, 2020, all face-to-face instruction has been cancelled and moved to online formats.
- All in-person exams are cancelled during York University’s formal exam period of April 7-25, 2020, to help stop the community-based spread of COVID-19 and to prevent large gatherings.
- Our instructors will communicate with you no later than Friday, March 20, 2020 to indicate how they will make course materials available and complete course activities.
- Your instructors will communicate with you no later than Friday, March 27, 2020 about any adjustments to evaluation and grading schemes.
For more information see Classes and Exams FAQs.
On March 16, the Government of Canada outlined additional measures related to entry into Canada based on the advice received by public health officials to limit the spread of this pandemic and to provide support to Canadian travellers. The Government of Canada strongly urged Canadians to follow these recommendations:
- All Canadians avoid non-essential travel outside the country until further notice.
- Canadian travellers should return to Canada via commercial means while they remain available.
- All travellers to Canada must self-isolate for 14 days upon entry.
The University continues to strongly recommend that faculty and contract faculty, staff and students avoid all non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice.
Beginning March 18th, foreign nationals from all countries except the United States are prohibited from entering Canada. The measure would not apply in designated exceptional circumstances, including to air crews, travellers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, Canadian permanent residents, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens.
The above ban includes any international student who is currently abroad on a Canadian University international mobility experiences including exchanges, placements, work experience or coop.
Read the University’s March 16 travel update for students, staff and faculty here.
For more details on risk levels and up-to-date travel information visit the Government of Canada website.
For more information see Travel FAQs.
What's Open. What’s Closed or providing Reduced Services at York University.
Open with services being provided onsite:
- Campus Security
- Custodial Services
- Grounds Waste
- Central Utilities
Closed no services being provided:
- Student Centres,
- Religious Centre
- Campus Shuttles
Reduced Campus Services:
- Food Services: Stong, Winters and Glendon cafeterias remain open; A limited number of food outlets remain open for take-out service only. Please go to the website https://foodservices.info.yorku.ca/dining-directory/ to see what else is currently open.
- Libraries: York University Libraries have suspended all in-person services until further notice. For updated information and details about our online and other remote services go to https://www.library.yorku.ca/web/covid-19-york-libraries-services-and-operations-update/
- Facilities Services
Open with services being offered remotely:
- Student Services - Advising, Counselling, Accessibility.
- Human Resources
- Campus Planning, Design and Construction (CPD&C)
Other changes could come into effect and will be communicated.
For more information, see University Operations FAQs