As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves, York University is working diligently to keep the safety and wellbeing of students, staff and faculty at the heart of all its decisions.
- Classes for the 2020-2021 academic year will begin in September even if courses need to be delivered wholly or partially through online/remote instruction. We understand that faculty and staff need time to prepare and put in place the necessary academic and operational plans for the Fall. See this message from President and Provost for details.
- We will continue to provide the community with regular updates regarding the fall academic term.
Course Completion and Exams:
- On Monday, March 16, 2020, all face-to-face instruction was cancelled and moved to online/remote formats.
- All in-person exams were cancelled during York University’s formal exam period of April 7-25, 2020, to help prevent the community-based spread of COVID-19 and to avoid large gatherings.
- By now your instructors will have communicated with you about any adjustments to course evaluation and grading schemes.
For more information see Classes and Exams FAQs.
The Government of Canada has outlined measures related to entry into Canada based on the advice received by public health officials to limit the spread of this pandemic and to provide support to Canadian travellers. The Government of Canada strongly urged Canadians to follow these recommendations:
- All Canadians avoid non-essential travel outside the country until further notice.
- Canadian travellers should return to Canada via commercial means while they remain available.
- All travellers to returning to Canada must isolate for 14 days if they have symptoms of COVID-19, or to quarantine themselves for 14 days if they are asymptomatic to limit the spread of COVID-19.
- Any traveller arriving in Canada—whether they are symptomatic or asymptomatic—may not isolate or quarantine in a place where they would be in contact with people who are vulnerable, such as adults aged 65 years or over and people with pre-existing medical conditions.
- Upon arrival, every traveller, whether they are symptomatic or asymptomatic, will need to confirm that they have a suitable place to isolate or quarantine. Travellers who do not have an appropriate place in which to isolate or quarantine themselves must go to a place designated by the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada.
The University continues to strongly recommend that faculty and contract faculty, staff and students avoid all non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice.
Beginning March 18th, foreign nationals from all countries are prohibited from entering Canada. The measure would not apply in designated exceptional circumstances, including to air crews, travellers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, Canadian permanent residents, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens.
The above ban includes any international student who is currently abroad on a Canadian University international mobility experiences including exchanges, placements, work experience or coop.
Read the University’s March 16 travel update for students, staff and faculty here.
For more details on risk levels and up-to-date travel information visit the Government of Canada website.
For more information see Travel FAQs.
What's Open. What’s Closed or providing Reduced Services at York University.
Open with services being provided onsite:
- Campus Security
- Custodial Services
- Grounds Waste
- Central Utilities
Closed no services being provided:
- Student Centres,
- Religious Centre
- Campus Shuttles
Reduced Campus Services:
- Food Services: Stong, Winters and Glendon cafeterias remain open; A limited number of food outlets remain open for take-out service only. Please go to the website https://foodservices.info.yorku.ca/dining-directory/ to see what else is currently open.
- Libraries: York University Libraries have suspended all in-person services until further notice. For updated information and details about our online and other remote services go to https://www.library.yorku.ca/web/covid-19-york-libraries-services-and-operations-update/
- Facilities Services
Open with services being offered remotely:
- Student Services - Advising, Counselling, Accessibility.
- Human Resources
- Campus Planning, Design and Construction (CPD&C)
Other changes could come into effect and will be communicated.
For more information, see University Operations FAQs